Since I started laying the path towards a fit and healthy lifestyle a few major changes I am trying to make is in my food habits. Being a foodie I just need everything to be tasty whether it is good for my health or not. I have no cooking facilities in my hostel and so I end up eating out for almost all the meals. I try having cereals, fruits and salads which I can prepare with minimal ingredients and minimal work. So for dinner I wanted to cut down or carbs and substitute it with proteins which are not only from animal sources. So today I gathered few ingredients and decided to make a sprout salad which would be rich in proteins and also add a few more benefits to my diet. It was yum! I want to share it with you as a fitness food that you can add into your diet and it will keep you full and satisfied for quite some time.
All you need is
- 1 cup mix of green gram and whole Bengal gram
- half an onion or 4-5 nos shallots
- 1 medium-sized tomato
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 green chili
- Chat masala or salt and pepper as per taste
- Coriander to garnish if needed
How to go about it?
- Wash and soak the legumes for around 4 hours or more. Drain any excess water or use it for cooking other dishes.
- Roughly chop the onions and tomato.
- Slit the green chili into half and chop it finely.
- Finely chop the coriander.
- Add all the ingredients except coriander to the bowl having the pulses. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and your dish is ready.
Sprouts are high in protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Sprouting grains increases many of the grains’ key nutrients, including B vitamins, vitamin C, folate, fiber, and essential amino acids often lacking in milled grains, such as lysine. These are even very easy to digest. One cup contains roughly 0.7 g of carbohydrates, 1.3 g proteins and 0 fat. Overall it is a perfect diet food that leads to weight loss even while keeping you full.